FALL SESSION: FLAMENCO DANCE CLASSES
OCTOBER 1 - DECEMBER 21
with XIANIX BARRERA
THURSDAYS - Center for Flamenco Arts
5:30-7:00pm Advanced Beginner
SATURDAYS - Center for Flamenco Arts
12:00-12:45pm Baby Flamenco (3-5 yrs)
12:45 - 1:30pm Kids Flamenco (6-9 yrs)
SUNDAYS - Center for Flamenco Arts
10:00-11:30am Advanced Beginner
12:30-1:00pm Sevillanas (all levels)
1:00 - 2:00pm Introduction to Flamenco
Introduction to Flamenco & Beginner (1 hour)
- Single Class: $25
- 5 Class Card: $122
- 10 Class Card: $235
- 20 Class Card: $460
Advanced Beginner (1.5 hours)
- Single Class: $32
- 5 Class Card: $157
- 10 Class Card: $305
- 20 Class Card: $600
Sevillanas (30 minutes)
- Single Class: $15
- 5 Class Card: $72
- 10 Class Card: $140
- 20 Class Card: $270
Baby Flamenco & Kids Flamenco (45 minutes)
- 12 Sessions: $300
- No makeup sessions
- Must register for the semester, drop-ins not allowed
*Classes can be purchased with cash, check, PayPal, Venmo or Zelle. Class Packs MUST be used by December 21st, 2018. Class packs are non-transferable and cannot be used for the Spring, 2019 session.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- HOW OFTEN SHOULD I ATTEND CLASS? The classes are structured in such a way that the student gets the most out of their experience and are able to progress at a faster rate if they attend twice a week. Life often gets in the way and students can only attend once a week. That is fine. Ideally twice a week is the way to go as your muscle memory and mental memory is developed simultaneously.
- ATTIRE FOR CLASS? Form fitting clothes such as tank tops, leotards, tights, and track pants with a skirt or vest. Loose fitting clothes make proper body placement, lines and form difficult to see.
- SHOES? Flamenco shoes are an investment for adults and children. Only purchase shoes if you're committed to classes. See BELOW for places to purchase. For your first few classes you can wear closed-toe shoes such as dress shoes or boots with sturdy heels, or character shoes. Stiletto shoes and sneakers are NO GOOD. Call or email for assistance.
- LEVEL? There are class descriptions listed above for you to assess which level is best suited for you. If you're still unsure please call or email me.
- PRIVATE/SEMI-PRIVATE LESSONS? I offer private and semi-private lessons in my home to cater to your particular needs, whether its to mount or work out kinks in a choreography, for a couples wedding dance, a competition, mommy-and-me, etc.
- RECITALS? Students are encouraged to participate in the annual showcase that happens in June. A smaller showcase is presented in December for our holiday party. Student showcase what they've been working on throughout the semester, dress up in traditional flamenco attire, and strut their stuff!
INTRO TO FLAMENCO
For those who have never taken a flamenco class before, need a refresher, or have little to no dance experience, Intro to Flamenco is the class for you. This class is an introduction to flamenco's basic elements by developing a solid foundation in its various techniques: floreo (hand movements), braceo (arm movements), zapateado (footwork), marcajes (marking steps), compas y palmas (rhythms and hand-clapping), giros (turns) and proper placement of the body.
The Beginner level is geared toward students who have studied flamenco for about a year OR those who are able to easily pickup material in class. We will review the elements and techniques that were covered in the Intro to Flamenco level but at a faster pace. Your foundation in flamenco technique will be reviewed and further developed/pushed for floreo (hand movements), braceo (arm movements), zapateado (footwork), marcajes (marking steps), compas y palmas (rhythms and hand-clapping), giros (turns) and proper placement of the body. If you're unsure as to which level you should be in, please call or email for assitance.
Advanced Beginner is geared toward the more experienced student who has studied for at least two years. You will need to have a basic understanding of its rhythms, vocabulary and techniques. We dive deeper into all elements and further develop your technique and musical ear while implementing its style and characteristics while staying true to your personality. More complicated rhythms, concepts and choreography are explored in this level.
Flamenco classes are available for children as young as 3 years old to teens with little to no experience with flamenco dance. Experienced dancers in other genres are welcome to join. Children will obtain an in-depth experience of the Spanish art form and learn its history, culture, geography and vocabulary. Students will be exposed to flamenco’s basic dance concepts, learn choreography, be involved in the creative process. Children are required to have proper dance attire and shoes for the class. Call or email for rates.
Intermediate/Advanced is geared toward the experienced student who has studied for a minimum of 3-4 years. The first 45 minutes of class will focus on bootcampe technique drills for arms, turns and footwork. The second half of class will focus on mastering the bata de cola, mantón and palmas.
PRIVATE AND SEMI-PRIVATE LESSONS FOR ALL LEVELS & OCCASIONS
Private and semi-private lessons are available for varying needs and occasions. Offering classes for a wedding dance, competition prep, special performances, birthdays and parties, corporate events and more! CALL OR EMAIL FOR RATES.